Who We Are
The highest quality services and resources within the state of California
IUOE Locals 3, 39, and 501 represent 250 city, county, special districts, and schools bargaining units in addition to State Unit 12 and have a network of Union staff and work-site stewards that actively serve and engage with members.
Each Local has its own elected Business Manager, officers, and Board of Directors, with Unit 12 workers being full members of their respective IUOE Local.
- The three IUOE locals jointly represent State Unit 12 and have a Central Office in Sacramento and local coordinators who represent Unit 12 workers within their jurisdiction.
- Locals 3 is an Operating Engineer local while Locals 39 and 501 are Stationary Engineer locals.
- Locals 3 and 39 have jurisdiction in Northern California, while Local 501 has jurisdiction in Southern California.
- A network of 650 Unit 12 work-site stewards across the state are actively engaged in matters affecting members’ wages, benefits, and other employment terms and conditions.
- Each Unit 12 worker is individually assigned to the IUOE Local with jurisdiction over their geographical area for representation and voting purposes.
What we do
We Keep California Running
Each worker who is a member of State Unit 12, depending on their classification and the geographic location of their employment, is individually assigned to the IUOE Local that has jurisdiction over that geographical area for representation and voting purposes. These include Local 3, Local 39 or Local 501.
- Unit 12 is a statewide bargaining unit with over 11,000 employees who perform maintenance, operations, logistics, and other duties for the State of California.
- Unit 12 is comprised of approximately 200 state classifications and over 100 specialty jobs.
- Unit 12 employees play a critical role in the everyday life of Californians, ensuring water delivery, maintaining highways, and providing skilled trades services.
- Unit 12 employees also serve as emergency responders during natural disasters such as fires, floods, and landslides.
- In addition to their daily duties, Unit 12 employees handle shipping, receiving, tracking, and transporting of commodities throughout the state, including emergency response equipment.
of Operating Engineers
IUOE represents diversified trades, including operating engineers and stationary engineers in the construction industry, health industry workers, and public employees. IUOE aims to protect wages, reduce healthcare costs, and improve contractors’ competitiveness. With over 400,000 members in 123 local unions, IUOE is the 10th largest union in AFL-CIO, and provides training programs to ensure highly skilled workers.
Learn more about IUOE
Get started today!
Please fill out the form below and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
1620 North Market
Sacramento, CA 95834